SomedayMaybe

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Day of Rest



I think what I like about these sky photos is that you get a sense that the sky is wide and the sun is strong and everything is floating past you while the earth spins. It makes me feel small. Not in a bad way.

I took a day off from commuting to grapple with some stuff and to rest. This shot is from Sunday; today's sky was clear, and the sun is setting in the west in a plain old yellow/orange fade. On most days, today included, I see daylight from start to finish. If I can see what time it is when I wake up, I've overslept. I sit in this spot while the light brightens until the sunlight starts sliding down the tower across the street. Now the light is fading, backwards: the sun is on the other side of the tower, the sun slid up the house across the street, and soon the streetlights will take over. The moon is dark, so no moonrise or moonset and no moonlight coming through the bedroom window at night. Here is the moon when it was at its brightest, a couple weeks back:

2 Comments:

At 2:07 AM, Blogger Plain(s)feminist said...

If you were to take out the lightposts (what are those things called?!), that would look just like a prairie scene! That big sky and those clouds in motion - something about that combination scream "prairie" at me these days.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Someday Maybe said...

I think lightposts is the correct term!

I haven't spent much (any) time on the plains. I would like to. I know there's a difference between ocean sky and landlocked sky. I think in this picture, the clouds are breaking up once they hit land.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home